Connect. Collaborate. Create.
The Arts Collective program fosters a collaborative approach to creative listening, making, and problem solving within Calvin’s community of arts-invested learners. The program values cross-disciplinary perspectives, diverse ways of knowing, and creative production that brings restoration and renewal.
In your first and second year as an Arts Collective member, you will explore your calling as a creative through shared courses, arts activities, and place-based learning and travel. Arts Collective members represent a variety of backgrounds and academic disciplines: you don’t have to be planning to major in the arts (visual, performing, or written) to be considered for the Arts Collective!
As an Arts Collective cohort member, you will:
- Explore topics such as arts and vocation, creative restoration, visual culture, place-based creativity, cross-disciplinary collaboration, and leadership in the arts.
- Collaborate with other members of your cohort to make, perform, and exhibit work that reflects upon your curiosities, questions, and current issues.
- Travel to arts destinations with Arts Collective cohort mates and faculty, exploring new cities as you take a place-based approach to creativity.
- Connect with the vibrant arts scene at Calvin and in Grand Rapids. Opportunities include field trips, films, performances, exhibitions, open studio nights, and cohort gatherings.
Here is a look at the first two years:
A. Arts Collective cohort courses
Note : Each course fulfills Calvin Core (general education) requirements.
- Fall: Arts Collective Community and Commitments (CORE 100)
- Spring: Arts Collective Visual Culture (ART 153)
- Fall: Core course in Humanities (e.g. ENGL 230, Introduction to Genre)
- Spring: Arts Collective cross-disciplinary core arts course (TBD)
B. Additional activities
In addition to enrolling in these 4 Core Arts Collective courses, cohort members are also required to participate in the following activities within their first 2 years:
- 4 Arts Collective local field trips (e.g. area museums; music, dance, & theatre performances; festivals)
- 4 Arts Collective on-campus studio nights/workshops
- 4 On-campus arts events (e.g. film screenings, concerts)
- Membership in 1 arts-based student organization or ensemble for at least 2 semesters (e.g. Calvin Theatre Company, Chimes, Dialogue, Dance Guild, Film Arts Committee, Improv, Visual Arts Guild, any choir or music ensemble, or another approved student org)
C. Optional trips/opportunities
During their third and fourth years, former Arts Collective members are invited to join select Arts Collective domestic trips and field trips on a first-come, first-served basis. Former Arts Collective members are invited to all open studio nights and on-campus Arts Collective events.
- Students admitted to Calvin by December 15, 2023.
- High school seniors planning to enter Calvin University in fall 2024.
- Students who wish to participate in arts activities while at Calvin or intend to study in arts-related academic programs such as art, creative writing, graphic design, film and media, and music.
Applications for students starting at Calvin in fall 2024 are open!
If you are starting Calvin after 2024, please send us your information (see form below) and we'll invite you to apply when the application is open to you. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Do you know a student who would thrive at real-world research? Share this via email:Share this opportunity